Expectations for Student Use of the iPad
Below are the expectations that we have established for our students. Please review these so that you are aware of what we ask of them.
Daily Expectations for Students
- Bring the iPad each day to school, fully charged. It's best to get in the habit of charging the iPad at the end of the day each day. That way, you get a full night's charge and will be ready for the start of school the next day. IMPORTANT: Be sure that you are using the charger that came with the iPad, not an iPhone charger. The power requirements are higher for the iPad. Also make sure that you are charging from a wall outlet, not a computer, as the charging time will be much quicker.
- Access only the first three screens while at school. The St. Matthew's Core Apps for students will be placed on the first three screens of your iPad. This set up should always remain the same. Any apps that your parents install for you must be placed on screens four and beyond, which are not to be used during school hours.
- Use the iPad for school-related activities: During free time at school, such as recess and lunch, the iPad is intended for school-related activities, not games or videos.
- Keep electronic communication school related. During instructional activities, electronic communication is to be focused solely on the activity at hand. No non-school related e-communication is allowed during the school day.
- Keep the iPad in its case. In our experience, the iPad can get dinged or scratched if not properly cared for. Keeping it in the case at all times helps to ensure it stays protected from accidental wear and tear.
- Store the iPad in a safe place when not in use. If you are not using the iPad during a portion of a class, or outside of class, be sure to store it away in a safe location. Place the device in your locker or in your backpack (which should not be left lying on the ground for someone to step on!).
Proper Care and Handling of the iPad
Here are some basic tips for handling your iPad in the proper manner. Most may seem obvious, but we can never be too careful.
- Do not set the iPad near liquids or objects of extreme heat. Keep it out of direct sunlight and rain.
- Do not leave your iPad in plain sight, in public, as someone may take it.
- When storing the iPad in your backpack, make sure to avoid other objects that might damage the screen, such as any object with hard, sharp corners.
- If you need to clean the screen, use a soft cloth (such as those used for sunglasses) and wipe the screen in a circular motion. Do not use any cleaning liquids.
In addition to your iPad, a case and a set of headphones/earbuds are required. You may also have a stylus and keyboard. You will want to find a consistent place to store and care for your accessories as well. Unplug your headphones when not in use, as this provides an opportunity for breakage when you store the iPad.
- Headphones or earbuds
See the full Student iPad Use Policy here.